.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, April 24, 2005

 

Music feeds the soul and soothes the inner beast.

In the midst of the exams, I've been having a musical revelation of sorts.

I've finally mustered the courage to put my recordings online, written 2 new songs, fallen in love with a new guitar, marvelled at some hot Nashville guitar-slingers doing breakneck country chicken-pickin', and discovered a whole lot of great stuff at Soundclick.

One of them that really left a deep impression is this guy who calls himself Bottleneck John. No it has nothing to do with weird anatomy proportions, it's just a reference to a style of guitar playing. Ask me if you must know. Check out his song "Come Back Baby" (3rd from the top). It's got a certain raw emotional appeal that you can't get with screaming guitars and pounding bass drums and stuff. Just one man and a guitar. I'm pretty sure even the non-blues fans among you will find something cool about it, so do check it out.

The trend so far in the past few years has been that exam time is always peak period for musical creativity as far as I'm concerned. Almost all of my songs were written when I should have been studying or sleeping. During the rest of the semester, just sitting down at the desk and trying to write usually yields nothing or absolute nonsense which should never see the light of day.

It could be because playing/writing/listening to the blues helps ease my worried mind, to quote a common blues line. A lot of people have this misconception that blues makes you feel depressed and that it's a sad music. Well, if the African-American share-croppers and cotton-pickers (the originators of what we know today as blues) were suffering so much, would they sing a form of music which made them feel even worse? Just think about it.

Then again maybe it's to do with the (somewhat)increased brain activity or higher levels of concentration(doubtful). Then again it could be a sign that my brain wants to be doing something else more pleasurable. Or it could be a reflex response to the boredom of studying. It's not that mechanical engineering is dull, actually some of it does interest me, being the perpetual mechanical gadget geek that I am. It's just that instead of only using my brains, I'd rather do stuff than involves my imagination and fingers.

Ok, I should stop here before it gets out of hand. Now.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?