.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

 

What did we do before electricity?

In line with my policy of spreading cool musical knowledge and information of dubious value, this post is dedicated to home-made musical instruments.

Washtub Bass

This has got to be the coolest thing I've ever seen. If I can ever lay my hands on one of those metal washtubs I'm gonna start bopping along. Check out the picture gallery. Way cool! I've had the pleasure of seeing one in action on a previous trip to US when I caught Nathan James doing an acoustic gig. Another guy also did some fantastic percussion with a pair of spoons. Yeap. All you bass players lusting after the latest Warwick or whatever, eat your hearts out.

Cigar Box Guitar

Now this one has me eating my heart out. If I did smoke cigars, my whole room would be filled with these things. I did make something similiar with a biscuit tin, albeit much cruder. Maybe just for kicks I'll play it at a gig next time.

Matchstick instruments

This one had me speechless. Simply amazing display of woodworking, even more extraordinary display of patience, and perhaps to some the ultimate in bo-liao.

Diddley Bow

Alright now boys and girls, this is about as basic as it gets. Any further back and we'll be beating rocks together to make sounds.

Some of these sites feature soundclips or even videos. Truely humbling. Goes to show that you can't keep the music in you if it's gotta come out, and you'll find just about anything to play it on.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?