.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, May 30, 2005

 

Blow wind blow

Following the enthralling gig at Doheny Stage Beach, I went to catch James Harman at the Café Boogaloo on Saturday. It’s located just before Hermosa Beach, along a small stretch of watering holes and surf-clothing shops. I had a few hours to kill before the set began, so I went to check out the beach.

It was simply breathtaking, and it had to be the most beautiful beach I’d ever seen to date. The fine sand was smooth and pleasing to the touch like talcum powder, not like the coarse grains of Sentosa which leave your feet feeling raw. The sea wasn’t exactly cyan blue, but it was beautiful nonetheless. The beach went on as far as the eyes could see on either side, and just behind there were shops, cafes and houses all along the coastline. Skateboarders, roller-bladers, cyclists and pedestrians walking dogs or pushing prams all co-existed peacefully on the sidewalk, while the beach-goers indulged in beach volleyball, dipping in the ocean, or just plain lazing in the sun. The strong breeze blowing by carried the subtle scent of the sea, accompanied by the sounds of spring-time merriment.

Along the street just behind the beach, pubs were overflowing with people and music pumped out through their PA systems. In between the pubs were clothing shops selling surfer stuff. Rows of white tents lined the pavement, selling all manner of oddities and curiosities alongside the usual T-shirts and trinkets. Unfortunately, most of the activity had already died down and they were just packing up, but judging from the number of stalls I can just imagine the bustling festivities that took place earlier. Besides, another form of bustling activity was just starting to liven up in the watering holes.

I got myself a cup of coffee and walked up the pier as the sun went down. Casual fishers were all along the sides of the pier, some in intense concentration while others chilled out in lawn chairs. Seagulls glided overhead, occasionally perching on the railing. I walked all the way to the end and sat down on an extremely worn but still serviceable wooden bench, sipping my coffee. Beside me, a boisterous group of friends were busy posing and taking pictures, while a tourist couple leaned on the railing on the other side.

Gradually, the amber sky grew dark and the lights from the street and houses dotted the coastline. By now, the casual sea breeze had become a biting chill, and there were a lot less people on the pier compared to earlier on. I sipped my coffee and held it in both hands to keep them warm as the wind whistled in my ears, competing against the sound of the waves crashing onto the shore.

**Warning : Mushy content ahead!**

As I admired the transformation of the coastline and the vast expanse of the beach and ocean, it occurred to me that it would have been great to have someone special to share it with. Awe-inspiring moments like these sometimes make me imagine what it would be like to have a like-minded individual to enjoy it with. The setting would have been perfect for a romantic endeavour, not to mention that it would be nice to hold something warm other than a cup of coffee.

Then the realization set in that if I did have that special someone, I wouldn’t have gotten to see this in the first place. I wouldn’t have had the peace of mind to go away for the entire 3-month holiday. I wouldn’t have had the freedom to simply drive down the highway on a whim to go to a pub at a beach town. I wouldn’t have been able to explore some of the rougher areas that I’ve been to. I wouldn’t even have been here to think about it.

A mouthful of warm coffee resolved the lingering doubts I had, keeping me warm amidst the cold chill of the night sea. With a renewed resolve to enjoy my life without complications for now, I walked back down the pier to head on to the Café Boogaloo.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?