.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, May 15, 2005

 

James Brown - Living in America

So it has begun. Here are some thoughts from the days before I managed to get my Internet access.


Much of the time so far has been spent on getting stuff like the car and apartment settled. Not entirely smooth sailing, with one rather unpleasant surprise regarding my credit cards, but I’ll get by.

While waiting for the apartment I stayed in some quaint little motels, the kind with only 2 storeys where you park your car downstairs, like in those Elvis Presley movies. You’d almost expect to see a bright red Cadillac parked in the front and women with big beehive hairdos. The TV is older than me (Check it out, it’s a Zenith – Solid State Chromacolour II. Probably from the days when vacuum tubes were being phased out and transistors were touted as the next big thing) and the air-conditioner does a good imitation of a B-747. The bedsheets and blankets have holes and all the plastic fixtures and sockets which were once white and clean are now yellowed and faded. Nevertheless, it works for me. Cheap place to sleep.

Best part is, the motels are close to Disneyland and every night they’ve got fireworks. I’d bring a chair outside to watch and lounge with a beer, but it’s way too cold. Actually, it’d be cool to hit Disneyland one more time, but it’s kinda weird to go alone. Maybe I’ll find a hot date to go with me. Then again, I think I’d have a better chance at the jackpot.

* * *

I moved into my apartment but it didn’t have cable/broadband yet, so I spent quite a few nights watching the only channels that were available, which were mostly Hispanic, such as Azteca America. I didn’t understand a single word of what they were saying, but I really enjoyed watching them nonetheless, because Latino women are simply hot. Well, at least the ones on TV. Those living around my area aren’t that great, but the ones I see on the screen are absolutely stunning. I won’t go into details (you'll have more fun checking them out for yourselves), but perhaps, the grass is always greener on the other side. And the hills are more round.

The rolling r’s and enunciation of Espanol are the perfect complement to their jaw-dropping good looks. Add to that a culture of passionate music (think flamenco and mariachis), sensual dance moves, and it’s a helluva combination. I don’t quite understand the food yet though, but there’s not much to dislike.

I think I need to change channels soon.

* * *

The office is pretty ok, the people are friendly and it’s a rather diversified workforce comprising people from Vietnam, China and India as well as the locals. So far I’ve been reading up on AutoCAD, which I’ll probably be using together with my usual Solidworks and some other specialized software. The first week was mainly getting used to the place and people, and I’ll be getting into some real work come next week.

For now, I’m seriously suffering from guitar withdrawal symptoms.

1) Twitching fingers
2) Hearing songs in my head
3) Daydreaming and fantasizing about running my fingers up and down the neck
4) Abnormal fascination with all images of guitars in the media

As you can tell, there aren’t many music shops anywhere nearby. I’ll have to drive to larger neighbouring cities but I need Google to check up directions. As of now, I’m still waiting for the guy to come set up my cable and broadband.

Shucks, back to Latino channels.

Parting note : I don't know where on earth this idea of fortune cookies for Chinese food came from, just as they sell Singapore noodles which don't taste like anything I've tasted in Singapore.

Anyway, here's one I got :

"You will always possess a charm and sense of humor that attracts others."

Ha.

Current beer in my fridge : Samuel Adams Summer Ale

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?