.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, May 08, 2006

 

For those about to rock

Moving out of hostel didn’t seem quite the nostalgic event it should be. Maybe not yet.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been occupied with my job hunt. After moving out in the space of 1.5 days, I went for my first job interview the day after, which was today. I would say it went quite smoothly, though I won’t speculate, more for myself than anything else. I’ve pretty much hit the ground running, going straight from student life into the job hunt. That’s probably a good thing, knowing the things that I’m liable to be up to when I get too idle.

Nevertheless, I think there’s space for a little bit of reflection here, and who else more befitting than the irrepressible KR Rockers.

It’s almost funny to think that in my first year, I was debating in my mind whether to join Rockers or not. At that time I was still a bona-fide blues-wannabe, not quite sure how I’d fit into a performing group that does all sorts of songs for the residents entertainment (well, most of the time anyway). Playing Top 40s radio hits was quite unimaginable then, and even up till now it’s still not entirely my cup of tea.

One thing it did though, was to forcibly broaden my musical horizons and open up my ears. In fact, that was the main reason why I ended up joining them. I like to throw myself into the deep end once in a while just to see what comes out of it, just like my choice of military vocation and Final Year Project. Four years on, I think it turned out pretty well. I’ve enjoyed playing some songs I never thought I’d ever play, I’ve met some fantastic companions on this musical joyride, and I’ve played some memorable gigs and venues, both inside and outside of hall.

It has been a part of my musical growth, and I would say that my non-blues music experiences have influenced my blues side and vice-versa, though which one more than the other is debatable. More importantly, it has been a part of my personal growth and perhaps the most memorable component of my hall life. Indeed, it is the part of my hall-persona that most of my fellow residents would immediately associate with me.

Which is both a good and bad thing. I do wish I could have been known as someone other than “the guitar guy” or “the guy who always reads newspapers in the lobby”, but then again I guess some form of notoriety is better than none at all. Some people tell me I’ve been the subject of many an admiring glance (or just a few) for those fleeting moments when I wielded my trusty six-string, but being the clueless fellow I’ve always been, I guess I’ll never know. Unless you’d like to let me know. Umm…please?

In any case, as I enter this job hunt, the same feeling of uncertainty when I first joined Rockers abounds. So does the anticipation of the unknown and the relish of jumping into the deep end once again.

Wish me luck.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?