.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

 

None of your...

Within a span of 2 months, 2 people have approached me to talk about business.

One of them was a schoolmate from junior college days whom I’d lost touch with, while another was a hall mate, one of those “hi-bye” acquaintances whom I bumped into infrequently and for fleeting moments.

It’s always nice to catch up with friends from the past and make new friends from the present, so I readily agreed to meet them over coffee and lunch. After exchanging some pleasantries and discussing recent happenings in our lives, it started with an innocent question.

“Have you ever thought of running your own business?”

Being my own boss has always been at the back of my mind, a thought for the not-so-near future but definitely an option, and I’ve always believed in giving fair hearing to new ideas, so we talked.

What they explained to me was multi-level marketing, together with seemingly academic aspects of finance and business which at times went over my head. Big numbers and names were thrown around, and ambitious visions were outlined. Concepts like “passive income” and “pro-sumership” were linked to material desires and dreams of early retirement, as well as noble intentions to provide for family. Workplace frustration was also a constant theme through out, borne out of a desire to break free from the shackles for employment.

To cut a very long story short, I politely but firmly turned them down. I won’t go into the reasons why, but we can discuss it in private. Neither will I say if it’s feasible or not, I’ll leave that for you to decide.




I haven’t heard from those 2 since then though. I’m sure they’re busy with business.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?