.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

 

Shameless plug

I’m not sure why I didn’t do this earlier, but anyway here goes.




For the past few months I’ve been doing a monthly gig every last Saturday at The Old Brown Shoe, an English-style pub beside Coronation Plaza. It’s a small, cozy place with a big ol’ bar counter and nary a stage, just a corner beside the entrance where tables and chairs are pushed aside and enough space is made for us. An old honky-tonk-looking upright piano serves as a fitting backdrop as well as a place to put the mini-mixer and my drink.

The owner is an Englishman teaching at a local junior college, a lover of good music and drink and a nice fella to boot. If you’re on the same musical page as I am you’d kill to catch the acts he caught as a lad, and he’s always got a ready yarn to spin about them. He owns a pub, he loves blues. We love blues, and love to play. Bingo.

And by we, I mean myself and Anjana. We’re collectively known as Malted Milk and we play as an acoustic duo. Acoustic blues is our main genre, though we’re partial towards country and on occasion, we readapt/rearrange/mutilate some more recent songs to our liking. Our originals definitely have a place in our set too, since no one else is going to play them in their sets. I do the guitar and she does the singing, but she plays on a couple of songs as well. I’m trying to get her to play more guitar, mainly to further her musical growth and advancement. While I enjoy my extended beer break between sets.

To top it all off, we call this monthly gig “Barbecue Bob” because the chef rolls out the grill and serves out some serious BBQ to wash down with a solid pint of Guiness or English-style ale of your choice. By some twist of fate, the chef’s a fan of the blues and he plays too, so if he’s not frying them up over the flame then he’s burning it up with us. Makes for a lot of noise and a lot of fun (for us at least).

For January it’s happening on 27th. Mark it down, save your stomachs and throats for the occasion and let the good times roll.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?